Sunday, August 22, 2010

Act 2

Writing Act II has thus far proven... awkward. That's not to say that it doesn't work (or that it won't, at least), but I'd be lying if I said that the story is writing itself. Obviously, the more you struggle to write something, the more self conscious you get about it and the more you question how much it works. I suppose the goal, for now, is to avoid getting too bogged down in that sort of thing and just keep progressing forward. Fair enough.

I also understand that Act I is typically supposed to be easier than Act II, so it's not as if I'm discovering some new territory here. In my head, though, Act I had a pretty linear path. There was only so much that could happen. Now, the freedom to take the story virtually anywhere is proving to be very frightening. I also have a bad tendency to get more interested in a character's pre-existing life before all the craziness than in the actual meat of the story - not just when I'm writing, but even when I'm watching movies. I think it's because that section of the story is easier to relate to, since nothing too out of the ordinary has happened, and the character hasn't had a chance to do anything about his crumby situation.

It probably also doesn't help that Act I is more about establishing the character(s), while Act II is about getting the plot rolling. That's been causing me more trouble with this script from the beginning. If I focus on writing toward the midpoint, it helps. As usual, though, it all comes down to sitting and down and doing it, all excuses aside. I'd better get on that.

2 comments:

  1. Bear in mind that all sections of the script, all three acts, need to develop character, advance the plot, and move toward a conclusion. Each act doesn't serve a separate purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course. I guess I should have said that "My main dilemma for each act is..." rather than making a general statement about what purpose each serves. Those are the things that, to me, tend to make the writing difficult for each section.

    ReplyDelete